Monday, October 14, 2013

Decorating for Fall

I love fall. It’s my favorite season! The weather here in Indiana turned to fall about 2 weeks ago, and then it warmed right back up again last week. (Dani came to visit from New Hampshire, and thought it was still summer here!) This morning, it was pretty cool, and I’m hoping it stays that way for the rest of the season! (It gives this 9-month pregnant lady a nice break from the heat!)

Last year, my fall decorations were all about the mums. This year, we had a phenomenal year for pumpkins in our garden, so it’s all about the pumpkins!

front porch fall 2013

I’m pretty proud to say that we grew every single one of the pumpkins that are on our porches this year! (And there are still plenty left over!) A friend grew the straw, and we will use it for bedding for our cattle later this winter. I bought the mums. (We don’t grow flowers, just cows and veggies.)

To decorate this year, I played with levels and layers.

front porch left fall 2013
I used a variety of sizes of pumpkins on the steps and on the porch. I used the straw bales to give a little different height for some of the groupings.

front porch right fall 2013
Here’s the back porch (which is actually our main entrance, but not the first thing that people see when they head up the driveway). Again, playing with height and layers.

back porch fall 2013

I looked through our pumpkins to find ones with interesting shapes, textures or colors, and ones with fun-shaped stems.

back porch left fall 2013
I mixed and matched the pumpkins, starting with small groups (odd numbers usually work best), and added from there. Where the flowers were the main attraction last year, this year they are the accessories and the focus is all about the pumpkins.

back porch right fall 2013
The pale pumpkins are pie pumpkins, and will be making an appearance on our Thanksgiving table and in my recipes all fall and winter long! Some of the larger orange pumpkins will be getting carved in a week or so. (Assuming I’m not too crazy with Baby Doc to think about Halloween…)

What is your favorite thing to decorate with in the fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics