I adapted this recipe from one I found in Gooseberry Patch’s “Autumn with Family and Friends”.
Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with some more shredded cheddar cheese, and whatever other toppings you like with your potatoes! (Sour cream and bacon bits would have been good, too!)
Quick and easy… and we didn’t even use a separate bowl to make the sauce! How much better can it get?
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, sliced
- 2 5-oz packages au gratin potatoes mix
- 1-pound smoked sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1-quart canned green beans, or 1/2-pound frozen green beans
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a greased 9x13 pan, combine water, milk, butter, and sauce mixes from the au gratin potatoes. Stir until sauce mixes are dissolved.
- Stir in potatoes, sausage, and green beans. Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 35 minutes (45 minutes if using frozen green beans), or until sauce is hot and bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.