Monday, February 11, 2013

One month in

I’ve been working on my Year 2 Change for a little over a month now. (Okay, 36 days, to be exact.)

Year2Change badge

My progress

My goal has been to get up at 6:00am, only hitting the snooze button twice. Out of those 36 days, I hit my goal on 19 of them. I had another 6 days where I hit snooze three times before I got up. Frankly, I count those days as successes, too! So I’m 25/36.

For me, that’s pretty darn good! Most of the time I’m getting up to times like this…

clock 02-11-13
But last week I had a really hard time. I was running on fumes after a very long week that included seeing this time on one day…

clock 01-29-13
(Yeah, that's AM.)

And 6 days away from home at a busy conference. Staying up late, getting up early, and running all day for 6 days sure is a recipe to make a girl tired!

Things I’m learning

  1. I am completely capable of getting up when I have something specific to do (like a conference call) or somewhere to be. (Like Indianapolis. Or a meeting with our tax guy in town.) I mainly work at home, by myself, so it’s really easy to brush off my first “appointment.” I need to work on remembering that I am a priority too, and my appointments with myself are important ones!
  2. The mornings go better when there’s coffee ready. My coffee pot has a timer… I need to use that sucker!
  3. Mornings really aren’t that bad… And I feel better (and more productive) when I can actually get a few things finished before lunch!
  4. I need plenty of sleep. (duh) Really, 7 hours is important for me. Eight would be better. Which means watching my bedtime (and less TV).
  5. I need to give myself a little bit of a break. I was beat after our 6 days of meetings. (And I think I was fighting off being sick.) It’s okay to take a day (or a couple) to sleep in. But what happened yesterday does not dictate what happens today. It really is a new day, and I need to be able to get back on the horse!
  6. I’m more likely to stick to my goal when I have some kind of accountability partner. Like you! I had started posting photos of my clock on Twitter and Instagram, but fell out of that habit when we spent a week at the hotel and I couldn’t see the clock from my side of the bed. I’m back in business now, baby!

Coming up…

It's time to ramp up my goal. One snooze. Starting Tuesday morning. Ready… set… go!

Is this your Year 2 Change? What are you working on?

5 comments:

  1. Keep it up! I have to set myself four alarms and then I still usually hit snooze a few times....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have a giant, very loud alarm clock that sat on the other side of the room. I would get up, shut it off, and go back to bed without really waking up. I have definitely made progress from those days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so need to take your lead here... I need to be more productive and my night owl ways aren't cutting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to do that a while ago, but then would get extremely upset when I'd have to get out of bed to hit snooze...counterproductive I know. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... perhaps an add-on to your #Year2Change, too? :)

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics