Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day Marathons

It seems to be a pretty big trend - so many channels are doing all-day marathons of TV shows on holidays and holiday weekends.  Memorial Day was a tough choice - Hoarders was on A&E all day long, and NCIS was on USA all day.  Which to watch?  Oh, the choices!

It would have been so easy just to park in front of the television all day...  too bad I had other things to do!  (Oh, and this is one of the things I am trying to stop doing as one of my positive goals.  Right.  Let's put some of this into practice, shall we?)

I did end up watching Hoarders for a little while.  This show fascinates me!  (TLC has one also, Hoarders: Buried Alive, but that one wasn't on all day long.)

Part of why I watch these shows is that I see slight hoarding tendencies in myself, and in some people I know.  I usually think that I don't really have a problem.  And then I remember all the stuff that came out of the basement and is now in our garage...  To be fair, about half of that stuff is my husband's, it's not all mine.  And we will be getting rid of a lot of that stuff instead of bringing it back into the house.

I am also intrigued by how these shows "fix" people.

I can't imagine that a crew can go into a house for two days, do a massive sort/clean/organize, throw a whole bunch of stuff out, leave, and expect the people to be just fine.  I think the shows offer some financial support for the people to get follow-up therapy, but when the disease has been going on for years, I would expect that a two-day purge would be more traumatic than helpful.  You can get a good idea during the episode who is going to come out the other side, and who is going right back to the way they started.

They had a Season 1 follow-up episode on Monday evening, where they revisited people one year later.  I didn't get to watch most of the episode, but I got it on DVR, so I'll be watching it on Tuesday.  I am really interested to see who was able to overcome the hoarding tendency, and who fell back to their old ways.  At the end of the day, if they really don't see a problem with their behaviors, and don't want to change, they are not going to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics